Welcome! You’ve decided to start commuting to work by bike but undecided on what type of bike is best suited for your commute. We’ve put this post together to help inform on what types of bikes work best depending on the type of commute.
Why is Choosing the Right Bike for Commuting Important?
Choosing the right bike for commuting is especially important as you will end up spending a lot of time on the thing. Nothing is worse than a bike is either uncomfortable or not suited for your commute.
Some of the issues you may experience with choosing the wrong bike:
- Impractical to take on public transport due to bulk
- Not suited for hilly terrain
- Uncomfortable on bumpy dirt tracks
- Slow on city streets
For this reason, we recommend considering the following when making a decision on a bike:
- Will you be riding on country roads/tracks or city streets?
- Will you be taking the bike on public transport and need to fold it up?
- Do you want comfort or speed?
- Are you after lightness or toughness?
There’s the perfect bike out there for everyone but you need to first ask yourself what type of riding it is that you will be doing. There’s no point buying a bike that’s suited for road riding if you will be doing the majority of your riding along bumpy fire trail tracks.
Road bikes are generally what most people think of when they think of a bike. Known for their drop handlebars which help put you in a more horizontal riding position to help with speed and aerodynamics, the road bike will suit some commuters better than others.
Road bikes are made in a variety of different materials from carbon (super lightweight) to aluminium and all the way to steel (more durable but slightly heavier). We recommend steering away from carbon bikes as they are not durable enough to cope with the conditions of commuting where a small crash could affect the integrity of the carbon on the bike.
Instead, look for a road bike that’s either aluminium or steel as this will better withstand the conditions of commuting but also come with additional extras such as the ability to attach mudguards or panniers.
Luckily in recent times we have seen road bikes evolve to include options previously only seen in mountain bikes such as disc brakes, suspension and fatter tyres. We will look to cover these types of bikes in the next section.
What type of commuters does a road bike favour?
- Someone who is looking for speed over comfort
- Someone who is happy to feel every bump on the road due to no suspension and skinny tyres
- Someone that wants something that will be quick to ride up hilly terrain
- Someone who has a long commute
What type of commuter does a road bike not favour?
- Someone who needs to venture off road from time to time
- Someone not confident riding in the rain with skinny tyres
- Someone with a short commute
- Best choice at rock-bottom price range with good brakes, intuitive shifting, reliable parts and aerodynamic frame geometry.
- 21-speed Shimano Tourney-series derailleurs and shifter system ensures a smooth ride. Three front gears and seven in the rear.
- Mechanical dual disc brakes give you added stopping power in year-round ride conditions.
- Precision welded frame with matte finishing gives a solid impression of great quality. Perfect for city or campus commutes and casual cruise.
- The product comes 90% assembled and nicely secured in the package. Tools and instructions are included. You only need to put on front wheel, handlebar, pedals and seat. Approximate assembly time is between 15-30 mins.
- 21 Speed Shifting system ensure you to brakes for safety at any speed.
- Dual Disc brake provided great stopping power. If you have any questions or problems for tuning the brake or shifting system, please feel free contact us directly for help!
- This bicycle arrives with 85% assembled. You need to install the front wheel, pedals, handlebar, seat and air up the tires. We do not supply any bicycle assembly service for online pays or for free.
- .All packages delivery via "Express", needs the signature when it delivered. If you do not need a signature, please contact us to arrange the shipment without signature before the package shipped.
- Bicycle are the oversize products, some of items may be causing scratches/damages causing during the shipping. If you received such items, please contact us directly for assistance, we will do our best to solve the problem for you at soonest!
Gravel, Cyclocross and Adventure Bikes
In recent times, road bikes have evolved to be more than just fast bikes you ride on roads. We’ve seen a new breed of road bikes released that are capable of riding on just dirt tracks (cyclocross bikes) all the way to bikes that are capable of riding both on and off the road (gravel and adventure bikes).
What makes these bikes more capable of riding off road than road bikes you ask? Good question. Some of the things that make these bikes more comfortable off the road include:
- Disc brakes for improved stopping power especially in the wet
- Basic suspension to help absorb bumps
- Fatter tyres to provide a more comfortable ride
Gravel, cyclocross and adventure bikes are well suited for any commuter that:
- Do the majority of their riding on and off the road
- Ride in the rain a lot to benefit from the increased stopping power of disc brakes
- People with longer commutes
Where these types of bikes are not suited for commuters who:
- Ride a relatively short commute
- Spend most of their time on the road
- Are on a budget
- Tektro Lyra Disc Brakes
- 4130 Cromoly Frame
- Straight Blade Fork
- Simple Single Speed
- Double Wall Alloy Wheels
- DURABLE & RELIABLE: Aluminum Compact Frame combined with an SST Steel Fork for Maximum Durability, backed up with our industry leading Lifetime Frame & Fork Warranty. Frame is drilled for all varieties of racks and fenders, making the Sentiero Tourney the ultimate commuter and touring bike.
- POWERFUL PEFORMANCE & SPEED: 3x7 Shimano Tourney Groupset, featuring a 30/39/50T Claris crankset and 12x28T Tourney cassette. Perfect for varying terrain, from flats to hills, offering a wide range of gears for all levels of riders in all conditions
- RUGGED, ALL-TERRAIN CAPABILITIES: For 2019, we have added wider 700x40c tires for added versatility and stability on rougher terrain. Tommaso TC-20D rims offer the rugged durability of a 28 spoke rim that can handle all types of terrain and keep rolling. The Siena is also equipped with Avid BB5 disc brakes for added stopping power in adverse weather conditions, making this bike perfect for all weather and terrain conditions.
- OPTIMIZED FIT FOR ADDED COMFORT: Compact frame geometry and premium compact handlebars offer increased power and comfort in a sleek package. Every part of the Siena is designed for maximum comfort and efficiency, so you are getting the most out of every ride, whether it is 10 miles or 100 miles
- PROFESSIONAL ASSEMBLY REQUIRED: To ensure optimal performance and to validate the warranties of your new bike we recommend that you have it professionally assembled before riding.
Hybrid, Urban and Commuter Bicycles
What type of commuting is a hybrid bike suited to?
- Someone who wants something that can ride on a range of surfaces (on and off road)
- Someone who just wants to be able to quickly get on the bike and ride without much hassle
- Someone with a mid to long commute
- Someone who has a good balance of hills and flats on their commute
What type of commuting would a hybrid bike not be suited for?
- Someone that wants to go as fast as possible
- Someone who wants a bit of suspension in their ride for bumps
- Performance Hybrid road bike with components and 700c wheels
- Hydroformed Alloy Performance Hybrid Frame and Fork
- Disc Brakes for Great Stopping Power
- Upright Handlebar for Comfort
- Free Pedals Included
- Matte black aluminum 54cm frame, plus with mechanical DISC-brake design.It's easy to accessorize with racks, a kickstand, fenders, lights, and more!
- Road bike speed and hybrid bike versatility,SHIMANO 24(gears) speeds change system provide a stable speed change experience.
- Aluminum rims,Shimano 12-32T cassette and Kenda 700*40C High-performance tyres,good riding experience.
- 85% pre-assembled,easy to assemble,free installation tools and pedals include.Frame LIFE TIME warranty.
- Weight: Approximately 28lbs (12.8kg) with pedals. Size S for 5'3'' & 5'8", M for 5'7'' & 6'1",L for 6' & 6'5", CHECK THE SIZE BEFORE YOU ORDER.
As the name suggests, touring bikes are made for touring with long days in the saddle with panniers and bags attached. Touring bikes are designed with a similar look to road bikes with drop down handlebars but generally favour more durable materials like steel which can better withstand the different conditions of touring.
We think touring bikes make a great option for anyone who has a mid to long range commute and is looking for something that is both reliable and comfortable.
Touring bikes favour people who:
- Have a mid to long distance commute
- Prefer to ride with panniers and mudguards. Generally touring bikes are designed for these to fit natively on the bike without much effort
- Want a durable bike able to withstand the different conditions of commuting
Touring bikes won’t favour people who:
- Have a short commute
- Want a lightweight bike
- Columbus Cr-Mo double butted steel
- Bike weight 13.2 kg size M
- Fork Columbus Cr-Mo steel 1-1/8 inch
- Handlebar Cinelli 6061 31.8mm Silver
- Tires Kenda k-193 700X28 mm
- Versatile adventure touring bike features capable adventure bike geometry, a sleek alloy frame and steel fork for the ultimate ride
- 2x7 drivetrain with Shimano Tourney derailleurs, an integrated Micro shift shifters/brake lever combo and mechanical disc brakes keep the ride smooth
- Integrated frame bag features a stylish embroidered patch and all the room you need for your riding essentials
- Large front rack (with an integrated bottle opener!) can easily carry two panniers, while the rear rack mount offers even more carrying capability
- Internal cable routing leaves room for 3 Distinct water bottle cage mounts (and 2 more on the fork) so you'll always stay hydrated when you ride
Fixies and Single Speed Bicycles
For those of you that want a bike with little maintenance, a single speed bike is for you. Designed with a similar look to that of a road bike, single speed bikes do not have any gears and relies on one gear. This results in less maintenance compared to other bikes which have a full gear set.
One downside to single speed bikes is they aren’t great on hilly areas where having a range of gears is handy when the going gets tough. The same also applies on flat areas where sometimes it’s handy to have heavier gears to help build up more speed. For this reason, we recommend fixie or single speed bikes for people that live in urban environments with a relatively short commute.
But what’s the difference between single speed and fixies? A fixie (or fixed gear) is similar to a single speed bike but without the freewheel. This means that when the wheel is turning also are the pedals. This can be quite scary when riding fast as the pedals start turning rather quickly. One of the positives of not having a freewheel is that pedaling backwards acts as a brake similar to what you may have had on a BMX bike when you were a kid.
What type of commuters should buy a fixie or single speed?
- Someone with a relatively short urban commute with no hills
- Someone on a budget
- Someone looking for a bike with little maintenance
What type of commuters shouldn’t buy a fixie or single speed?
- Anyone with a hilly commute
- Anyone who needs more than one gear
- Anyone who has a long commute
- Includes a flip-flop hub so you can ride fixed or with a freewheel
- Premium hand-built, tig-welded, high-tensile strength steel frame absorbs the bumps in the road and is as durable as can be
- Comes standard with 30mm deep-v rims, Kenda Kwest 700 x 28C tires, KMC chain, VP freestyle pedals, and two sets of brakes
- All of the components required for a super smooth ride. All of our bikes have a weight limit of 220 lbs. Height Range - 5.9 - 6 Inch. Standover Height - 34 Inch
- Includes all the tools you need for building and maintaining your own bicycle
- Frame: high tensile steel fully tig-welded fork: 1-1/8 inch steel fork brakes: front & rear
- Headset: 1-1/8 inch neco headset handlebar: alloy custom riser bars
- Chain ring crank: alloy 46T bottom bracket: sealed bearing 68mm
- Wheels: 45mm deep alloy rims hubs: 32hole sealed bearing flip flop hub
- Tires: 700C x 25 Kenda pedals: BMX platform
We generally recommend mountain bikes for anyone that has a bumpy commute and a need for suspension. From our experience, suspension bikes can be slow as it absorbs a lot of the effort you make when riding which can result in a very spongy and sluggish commute when riding on smooth surfaces. While you can lock and disable the suspension, you might as well just buy a hybrid bike if you see yourself locking it often.
Mountain bikes favour people who:
- Have lots of bumps and holes on their commute to ride over
- Spend most of their commute off road
- Want quick stopping power that comes with disc brakes
Mountain bikes aren’t for people who:
- Have a relatively smooth commute
- Spend more of their time riding on road
- Are on a budget
- 26-inch full suspension aluminum MTB frame
- Suspension fork 65mm travel
- Shimano 21 Speed Shifters with Rear Tourney Derailleur
- Front Disc Brake/Rear Linear Pull Brake
- Alloy Wheel Rims
- Provides a stronger, faster, more reliable stopping power than the traditional V-Brake Systems; Disc brakes also do not wear out your tires and last much longer; Since disc brakes are much more consistent you’ll be able to judge braking more accurately
- High tensile steel folding frame that could withstand rough mountain trails and folds flat in seconds with no tools required
- Includes Shimano products that are known to last, including derailleur and shifters; Also includes alloy double wall rims with 26" diamond wheels and 22. 5'' handlebars.
- Front & rear shock absorbers that could withstand many tough terrain mountain trails or daily commutes
- Recommended for rider's height 5'3"-6'0". Max weight up to 220lbs - Light Assembly/Tools Required. 30-day included for all orders purchased from the authorized seller, Crosslinks.
We've written about some of our favourite Dahon branded folding bikes in the past and we're big fans! Folding bikes are a great option for anyone who is space conscious and has a relatively small commute. We wouldn't recommend them for people with long or hilly commutes due to the limited gear range which will make any hill a grind!
Who we think folding bikes are great for:
- Small commutes
- People who need to take their bike on public transport
- People who have limited space to store their bike
People who might not suit folding bikes
- People with longer commutes
- People with hilly commutes
- People who like the feeling of riding on a true to size bike
- People who like the feeling of multiple gears
- 【7-Speed Folding Bike】The shifting handle and rear derailleur allow you to easily change the speed as needed, giving you a new experience during your ride. In addition, the ergonomic anti-slip handle relieves discomfort caused by prolonged riding.
- 【Rugged Frame & Foldable Design】With high-strength iron frame, this folding bike has strong load-bearing capacity and can be used for a long time. Besides, the foldable design makes it easy for you to carry and store. And the entire folding process takes only 3 steps.
- 【Adjustable Handle & Seat Height】 Made of high quality aging resistant rubber and aluminum alloy rims, the tires are non-slip and difficult to pierce. So you can use it on a mountain road or on a rugged road. Not only that, the height of the seat and handle can be adjusted to provide you a better comfort experience.
- 【V-style Brakes】This bicycle is equipped with front and rear V brakes, which make the brakes more efficient and shorten the braking distance when riding out. Cortical seats provide you with the greatest comfort, and you can adjust the height from top to bottom to find the height that best suits your ride.
- Easy Assembly Process】Our folding bicycle is 98% installed, so you can install and use it very quickly, reducing a lot of tedious installation steps, allowing you to use our bicycle quickly. And our wear-resistant wheels can cope with all kinds of road conditions. The anti-skid foot with BS reflector allows you to ride at night without any problems.
- Lightweight aluminum frame; folds in seconds and is easy to carry so you never need to leave it outside.
- Genuine Shimano components with 7 speeds and grip style shifter.
- Easy single fold stem, folding pedals, magnet catcher to hold fold bike's frame securely together.
- 2“ multi-terrain tires and v-style brakes.
- Folded size: H-27. 25" L-33. 2" W-13. 5. Weight: 28. 5 lb. (Lightweight).
Like anything in life, you get what you pay for and for this reason we'd recommend not cheaping out too much when buying a bike to commute on. Cheaper bikes generally won't last the harsh conditions that commuting throws at it.
One way to look at spending more money on a commuter bike is to think about all the money you will save elsewhere whether it be not needing to go to the gym anymore or saving money from public transport. I save $1,500 from not needing to catch public transport anymore so it's a huge saving!
Good luck in your hunt for a new bike!
I’m Ben! I used to catch a bus to work until one day I decided the time would be better spent commuting by bike to save time and keep fit. Ever since then, I’ve loved commuting to work with this blog sharing some of my favourite tips and equipment for fellow commuters.