Welcome! You’ve decided to start commuting to work by bike but undecided on what type of bike is best suited for your commute. We’ve put this post together to help inform on what types of bikes work best depending on the type of commute.
Why is Choosing the Right Bike for Commuting Important?
Choosing the right bike for commuting is especially important as you will end up spending a lot of time on the thing. Nothing is worse than a bike is either uncomfortable or not suited for your commute.
Some of the issues you may experience with choosing the wrong bike:
- Impractical to take on public transport due to bulk
- Not suited for hilly terrain
- Uncomfortable on bumpy dirt tracks
- Slow on city streets
For this reason, we recommend considering the following when making a decision on a bike:
- Will you be riding on country roads/tracks or city streets?
- Will you be taking the bike on public transport and need to fold it up?
- Do you want comfort or speed?
- Are you after lightness or toughness?
There’s the perfect bike out there for everyone but you need to first ask yourself what type of riding it is that you will be doing. There’s no point buying a bike that’s suited for road riding if you will be doing the majority of your riding along bumpy fire trail tracks.
Road bikes are generally what most people think of when they think of a bike. Known for their drop handlebars which help put you in a more horizontal riding position to help with speed and aerodynamics, the road bike will suit some commuters better than others.
Road bikes are made in a variety of different materials from carbon (super lightweight) to aluminium and all the way to steel (more durable but slightly heavier). We recommend steering away from carbon bikes as they are not durable enough to cope with the conditions of commuting where a small crash could affect the integrity of the carbon on the bike.
Instead, look for a road bike that’s either aluminium or steel as this will better withstand the conditions of commuting but also come with additional extras such as the ability to attach mudguards or panniers.
Luckily in recent times we have seen road bikes evolve to include options previously only seen in mountain bikes such as disc brakes, suspension and fatter tyres. We will look to cover these types of bikes in the next section.
What type of commuters does a road bike favour?
- Someone who is looking for speed over comfort
- Someone who is happy to feel every bump on the road due to no suspension and skinny tyres
- Someone that wants something that will be quick to ride up hilly terrain
- Someone who has a long commute
What type of commuter does a road bike not favour?
- Someone who needs to venture off road from time to time
- Someone not confident riding in the rain with skinny tyres
- Someone with a short commute
- Keep Everything in Order: Size: 7 x 3.5 x 15 inches /18 x 9 x 38 cm. The front zipper bag and buckle bag allow you to store iPad mini, iPhone 7 Plus, power band, etc., with several separate small compartments inside, it can effectively keep your small items like makeup, tissue, keys and so on. The side mesh pocket is 6 inches height, it can hold 2.4 inch(diameter) bottle.
- Hidden Earphone Hole: There is a hidden earphone hole on the front, providing easy access to your earphones, you can enjoy music anytime and anywhere.
- Adjustable Reversible Shoulder Strap: Designed with 3 D-rings on the lower part, the adjustable shoulder strap can be connected with the left or right D-ring for your preference, so that it is convenient to wear on your left or right shoulder. The shoulder strap pouch is 3.5 x 1.5 x 7.5 inches (L x W x H), it hold the phone screen size under 7 inches easily. Shoulder strap can be adjusted from 31 ” to 39.5 ”.
- Superior Material: The shoulder strap and the back is made of breathable material, make you feel comfortable when travel, hiking and so on.
- 【After-sales guarantee】If you have any problem with broken or damaged items you purchased，please do not hesitate to contact us with your order ID. We will reply and address your issue within one day, so please purchase with confidence.
- IDEAL FOR: Endurance rides where comfort is key. Castelli’s renowned top-of-the-line Progetto X2 Air Seamless seat pad is designed to provide all day comfort with just the right amount of cushion without sacrificing airflow.
- PADDING: Feature the updated Progetto X2 Air Seamless pro-level seat pad for maximum comfort. New seamless skin-care layer is softer against the skin and reduces abrasion and chafing. Separate saddle-shaped cushioning layer with progressive damping through high-density foam and gel inserts, providing all-day comfort.
- GREAT FIT: A great pad is useless without a great fit. Seams are strategically placed around the hip area to create a perfect shape on the bike.
- FABRIC: The Endurance Evolution fabric has a soft feel while providing good compression and excellent moisture management to help keep you cool on those long days.
- FEATURES: Comfortable lie-flat seams and GIRO3 leg gripper make sure the bib stays in place. Mesh bib straps and back help keep you cool and dry.
Gravel, Cyclocross and Adventure Bikes
In recent times, road bikes have evolved to be more than just fast bikes you ride on roads. We’ve seen a new breed of road bikes released that are capable of riding on just dirt tracks (cyclocross bikes) all the way to bikes that are capable of riding both on and off the road (gravel and adventure bikes).
What makes these bikes more capable of riding off road than road bikes you ask? Good question. Some of the things that make these bikes more comfortable off the road include:
- Disc brakes for improved stopping power especially in the wet
- Basic suspension to help absorb bumps
- Fatter tyres to provide a more comfortable ride
Gravel, cyclocross and adventure bikes are well suited for any commuter that:
- Do the majority of their riding on and off the road
- Ride in the rain a lot to benefit from the increased stopping power of disc brakes
- People with longer commutes
Where these types of bikes are not suited for commuters who:
- Ride a relatively short commute
- Spend most of their time on the road
- Are on a budget
- Wind- & waterproof - The GripGrab RaceAqua X shoe covers protect your feet and shoes from rain, wind and dirt when you cycle in rainy weather conditions; Ideal for spring & autumn
- Open Sole & Tight Fit - These lightweight aero race shoe covers are specifically made for slim MTB/CX race shoes only (SPD); NOT for road bike, winter shoes, sneakers or trainers
- YKK-Zipper - The robust and reliable YKK-zipper at the rear of these waterproof shoe covers makes it easier to put them on and off; It is sealed for protection against rain
- Reflective Details - Increasing your visibility in traffic we have included reflective details on these off-road booties which light up and reflect when they're hit by light
- Durable - Aramid fibre reinforcements on the sole increase the lifetime of the RaceAqua X overshoes and make them less prone to wearing out, even when dismounting for obstacles and walking
Hybrid, Urban and Commuter Bicycles
What type of commuting is a hybrid bike suited to?
- Someone who wants something that can ride on a range of surfaces (on and off road)
- Someone who just wants to be able to quickly get on the bike and ride without much hassle
- Someone with a mid to long commute
- Someone who has a good balance of hills and flats on their commute
What type of commuting would a hybrid bike not be suited for?
- Someone that wants to go as fast as possible
- Someone who wants a bit of suspension in their ride for bumps
- Waterproof Shoes Covers :100% high quality PVC Fabric material. Durable waterproof, dustproof and anti-slip design. Keep your shoes dry and clean and protect shoes from mud-spattered, rain and snow for your expensive shoes and boots, extending the lifetime of your footwear.
- Wide Applications:Safety reflector on heel,Motorcycle Rain Gear,Also Sutitable for Cycling, Cleaning, Hiking, Washing, Gardening and Farming.
- About Waterproof: As you can see from our picture, unlike other product suggests, our shoes cover its not 100% waterproof, Once the water level overflow the zipper for a while. It might wet your shoes, there its no zipper can be 100% waterproof.Try other similar products if you wish you will find same issue but with Exaggerated descriptions. As long as the water lever its not reach the zipper, its will keep your shoes from wet and mud.
- Value Rubber Shoes Covers: Pay less and get more, You will have 2 pair of high quality Reusable rain shoes covers. Plus,lightweight foldable design makes it perfectly stored in a backpack or handbag. Do not occupy space, easy to carry.
- CUSTOMER SERVICE --We always believe that its good service rather than anything else to satisfied our customer, therefore, plz feel free to make contact with us through amazon at anytime if you have any question. Always let us know if anything let you Dissatisfied. Our friendly staff will solve your problem within 24 hours.
- Our Most Legendary: Super-light HeatGear fabric delivers superior coverage without weighing you down
- Material wicks sweat & dries really fast
- Ergonomic flatlock seams deliver a comfortable, chafe-free fit
- Mid-rise encased elastic waistband sits just right on your hips
- Under Armour’s mission is to make all athletes better through passion, design and the relentless pursuit of innovation
As the name suggests, touring bikes are made for touring with long days in the saddle with panniers and bags attached. Touring bikes are designed with a similar look to road bikes with drop down handlebars but generally favour more durable materials like steel which can better withstand the different conditions of touring.
We think touring bikes make a great option for anyone who has a mid to long range commute and is looking for something that is both reliable and comfortable.
Touring bikes favour people who:
- Have a mid to long distance commute
- Prefer to ride with panniers and mudguards. Generally touring bikes are designed for these to fit natively on the bike without much effort
- Want a durable bike able to withstand the different conditions of commuting
Touring bikes won’t favour people who:
- Have a short commute
- Want a lightweight bike
- Performance GPS cycling computer with mapping. Compatible with Vector (power meter). Power meter compatible (displays power data from compatible third-party ANT Plus-enabled power meters)
- Dynamic performance monitoring provides insights on your VO2 max, recovery, training balance, heat and altitude acclimation, nutrition, hydration and more when paired with compatible sensors
- Cycling safety features include new bike alarm, group messaging and tracking, assistance and compatibility with Variant rearview radar and lights so you can see and be seen (when device is paired with your compatible smartphone)
- Includes routable Garmin Cycle Map with popularity routing — which helps you ride like a local — plus off-course recalculation and back to start; mountain biking model has integrated Trail forks data, including trail difficulty ratings
- Customize with free apps, widgets and data fields from the Connect IQ Store
- 【Upgraded Wet Pocket Design】Venture Pal backpack stands out with more humane design for easy and convenient use. One waterproof wet pocket is added to the main compartment, a zipper on the back of this backpack which led to the internal wet pocket, to better separate sweaty clothes, towels or other personal things after swimming or taking exercise.
- 【Durable Material】This backpack is made of high quality tear and water resistant nylon fabric,heavy duty metal zippers and enhanced by bar-tacks at major stress points provide long-lasting durability against daily activities.The extra strength provided by the double-layer bottom piece makes it possible to carry more stuff.
- 【Compact & Comfortable】It weighs only 1 pounds, can easily fold into its own pocket for storage,and unfold it when you need it. Breathable mesh shoulder straps with plentiful sponge padding help relieve the stress from your shoulder. The chest clip with a whistle buckle work perfectly to distribute the pack’s weight and keep it steady and centered. A must have for sports , hiking, camping and traveling.
- 【Large Capacity & Multi Compartment】With 40L storage space, this backpack features with multi-compartment design includes one main zipped compartment, one zipped front pockets and two side pockets. One separator and one small zippered pocket in the main compartment are convenient enough to help you further organize things.Large capacity helps you easily organize all your essential items.
- 【Purchase Tips】- If there is any problem, just contact with us, we will handle with it immediately.
Fixies and Single Speed Bicycles
For those of you that want a bike with little maintenance, a single speed bike is for you. Designed with a similar look to that of a road bike, single speed bikes do not have any gears and relies on one gear. This results in less maintenance compared to other bikes which have a full gear set.
One downside to single speed bikes is they aren’t great on hilly areas where having a range of gears is handy when the going gets tough. The same also applies on flat areas where sometimes it’s handy to have heavier gears to help build up more speed. For this reason, we recommend fixie or single speed bikes for people that live in urban environments with a relatively short commute.
But what’s the difference between single speed and fixies? A fixie (or fixed gear) is similar to a single speed bike but without the freewheel. This means that when the wheel is turning also are the pedals. This can be quite scary when riding fast as the pedals start turning rather quickly. One of the positives of not having a freewheel is that pedaling backwards acts as a brake similar to what you may have had on a BMX bike when you were a kid.
What type of commuters should buy a fixie or single speed?
- Someone with a relatively short urban commute with no hills
- Someone on a budget
- Someone looking for a bike with little maintenance
What type of commuters shouldn’t buy a fixie or single speed?
- Anyone with a hilly commute
- Anyone who needs more than one gear
- Anyone who has a long commute
- Shoe Repair and Protective Coating for Leather, Vinyl, Rubber or Canvas
- Bonds, protects and rebuilds for a permanent repair
- Excellent sealant – Perfect for patching Small holes
- Waterproof – Bond remains secure even when exposed to Water
- Creates extra traction – can even be used on skateboards
- BOBA FETT (RE-ARMORED): Boba Fett seemingly met his demise in the Sarlacc pit on Tatooine. Fett has survived the beast and has now reclaimed his distinctive Mandalorian armor
- PREMIUM ELECTRONIC HELMET: Featuring highly-detailed deco, series-inspired design, interior padding, adjustable fit, and electronic lights, this full-scale Boba Fett (Re-Armored) helmet is an iconic addition to any Star Wars fan’s collection
- ILLUMINATED RANGEFINDER HEADS-UP DISPLAY (HUD): With the press of a button the rangefinder drops down, activating 2 red LEDs that flash in a “hunting” pattern as well as a white LED-illuminated heads-up display (HUD)
- THE MANDALORIAN SERIES-INSPIRED DESIGN: Fans can imagine scenes from the Star Wars Galaxy with this premium roleplay helmet, inspired by the live-action series on Disney+
- LOOK FOR OTHER ROLEPLAY ITEMS FROM A GALAXY FAR, FAR AWAY: Look for other entertainment-inspired Star Wars The Black Series roleplay items (Each sold separately. Subject to availability)
We generally recommend mountain bikes for anyone that has a bumpy commute and a need for suspension. From our experience, suspension bikes can be slow as it absorbs a lot of the effort you make when riding which can result in a very spongy and sluggish commute when riding on smooth surfaces. While you can lock and disable the suspension, you might as well just buy a hybrid bike if you see yourself locking it often.
Mountain bikes favour people who:
- Have lots of bumps and holes on their commute to ride over
- Spend most of their commute off road
- Want quick stopping power that comes with disc brakes
Mountain bikes aren’t for people who:
- Have a relatively smooth commute
- Spend more of their time riding on road
- Are on a budget
- UNFRAMED PICTURE - NOT Canvas or Tin Sign
- UNIQUE WALL ART DECOR - Cool original home decorations for office, living room, bedroom, bathroom, family room, man cave, dorm, dining room, kitchen, classroom, apartment, bar, baby nursery
- PERFECT PRESENT FOR EVERY OCCASION - Cute gift ideas for women, wife, girlfriend, her, girls, daughter, men, guys, boys, son, husband, boyfriend, him, kids, teens, best friend, cat lover, Christmas, Xmas, holiday, Halloween, housewarming, cheap inexpensive gag gifts, presents, bridal shower, wedding, birthday, anniversary
- SO MANY STYLES! Boho, bohemian, abstract, aesthetic, mid century modern, minimalist, contemporary, black art, African American, goth, gothic, pagan, country, rustic, vintage, shabby chic, farmhouse, typography, positive quotes, inspirational, motivational, Zen, religious, Christian, funny sayings, nautical, tropical artwork, beach, arte decoracion, retro, encouragement, glam
- SAVE ON MULTIPLE POSTERS, PRINTS, PHOTOS - See details at left
- 【PREMIUM MATERIAL+MULTIFUNCTION】The skull cap is made of BAKU SILK fabric( 90% polyester and 10% spandex) which is soft, cosy ,stretchy,smooth and won?¡¥t rub or irritate your skin.Feature breathable UV protection ,function cooling and fast-drying that keeps sweat out of your eyes. Ultimate thermal retention and performance moisture wicking ,even great for cold weather.
- 【VARIOUS USAGE】These skull hats can be worn by men and women for a bunch of different activities indoors or outdoors . it can be worn as a helmet liner wore under helmet & hard hat when you¡¯re mountain biking, road racing, motorcycling or hitting the slopes and to be beanie when you're walking, hiking, running, gym, mountain-climbing,tennis, dancing etc.
- 【SUITABLE MOST PEOPLES HEAD】The helmet hat's size is:approx 26*15.5cm/10.23"*6.1"soft ,lightweight with good elasticity to fit melons of all shapes and sizes, NO stress about the size and a unisex one, large heads,small heads, thickness hair or no hair.Function cooling & thermal regulation allow you can wear in any season
- 【VALUE PACK】These beanie are available in 3 pack in 1 set,simple yet classic colors and fitted cutting design make you looks cool even while exercising ,and the sufficient quantity for you to use in daily life.It lightweight and easy to carry as well. it is hand washable,durable ,they¡¯re a must-have accessory for all-season performance.
- 【100% MONEY BACK +ONE YEAR WARRANTY】Customers love us and our ONE YEAR WARRANTY:Any problem with your product we will refund or replace. Purchase with no risk!
We've written about some of our favourite Dahon branded folding bikes in the past and we're big fans! Folding bikes are a great option for anyone who is space conscious and has a relatively small commute. We wouldn't recommend them for people with long or hilly commutes due to the limited gear range which will make any hill a grind!
Who we think folding bikes are great for:
- Small commutes
- People who need to take their bike on public transport
- People who have limited space to store their bike
People who might not suit folding bikes
- People with longer commutes
- People with hilly commutes
- People who like the feeling of riding on a true to size bike
- People who like the feeling of multiple gears
- 1> WATERPROOF STORAGE BAG FOR FREE - After use, just put the waterproof shoe cover into the waterproof storage bag and fold it.
- 2> 60 DAYS REFUND GUARANTEE - Double thick sole than other waterproof shoe covers. We provide 60 days refund guarantee if sole wore out.
- 3> 24 HOURS RESPONSE - If you have any size query on this waterproof shoe cover, feel free to contact us via email and you will be updated in 24 hours.
- 4> NO MORE WET FEET - Indoor, wear the waterproof shoe cover to do Cleaning work. Outdoor, put on it to School/Office/Garden/Park/Farm/Disneyland/Golf Course/Forest etc on rainy days. Perfect for Traveling/Cycling/Walking/Shooting/Hiking/Fishing outside.
- 5>SAVE MONEY - 100% waterproof PVC material keeping dry, clean and warm for your expensive shoes and boots, extending the lifetime of your footwear.
- 【Size selection】The shoe cover length is 29.5cm/11.6inch, please make sure to order a size larger than you normally wear. For women, our shoe cover may be too large if you normally wear shoes size smaller than 7, and for men, they may be too small if you normally wear shoes size larger than 8.
- 【High Quality and Waterproof】Made of high quality PVC, durable and reusable, keeping dry and clean for your expensive shoes and boots, extending the lifetime of your footwear. The waterproof boot covers is made of 100% Waterproof PVC cover(height is 40 cm)and waterproof zipper, the inside of the zipper is covered with waterproof layer(waterproof layer’s is 33 cm),0.67 inches thickened and edge covering sole, makes the waterproof effect better.
- 【100% Safety】Striped rubber sole to avoid slipping on rainy days. Reflective belt design, safe walking in the dark and comfortable to wear. QINGLER's product has 18-month Money Back & Warranty for quality-problem, ensures your long-term enjoyment of your purchase.
- 【Unique Design】Wide mouth design, easy to put on and off, the elastic band at the top and the ankle, convenient to adjust to the degree of tightness and prevent the shoe cover from sliding down during walking.
- 【Wide Application】Fashionable sport style, it's goes well with your clothes, you can wear rain shoe covers to do cleaning, washing, cycling, motorcycle, traveling, camping, hiking, fishing, shooting, farming, painting etc.
Like anything in life, you get what you pay for and for this reason we'd recommend not cheaping out too much when buying a bike to commute on. Cheaper bikes generally won't last the harsh conditions that commuting throws at it.
One way to look at spending more money on a commuter bike is to think about all the money you will save elsewhere whether it be not needing to go to the gym anymore or saving money from public transport. I save $1,500 from not needing to catch public transport anymore so it's a huge saving!
Good luck in your hunt for a new bike!